Monday, November 29, 2010

RIP Mary Margaret Lee

My Aunt Mary Margaret died earlier today after a long struggle with pneumonia. She was 65, which was remarkable in itself, given that she was born with Down's syndrome. My grandparents refused to institutionalize her, instead giving her as full a life as they could, including allowing her to work at a facility for mentally handicapped people. After my grandparents died, Mary lived with my Uncle Tom and Aunt Eileen in New Hampshire, but finally had to be put in a home after Alzheimer's took hold.

8 comments:

Mark Lungo said...

My condolences, Chris.

GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. said...

Mine too. Seems like it's been a tough year for you.

Chris Barat said...

Thanks, Mark. The funeral will be on Thursday (up in New Hampshire) BTW.

Chris

ramapith said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Chris—though I'm also glad Aunt Mary managed to live a full and involving life, given her debilitating condition.

Chris Barat said...

Geo,

I'll be undergoing surgery on December 15th, so the "ordeal" of 2010 is not over just yet!

Chris

Chris Barat said...

David,

Evidently, what my grandparents did was extremely unusual for the time. The big push then was for institutionalization. Their strong religious faith probably played a major role in their decision.

Chris

Joe Torcivia said...

Chris:

Our best to you and your family.

I can remember you telling me about this situation some years ago.

Joe.

Ryan Wynns said...

Chris,

Just checked in for the first time this week, and saw this (and looks like that for the funeral today, you must have came within relative range of my locale, incidentally). Of course, in addition to those of all the previous commenters, I extend my condolences.

Your encapsulation of your aunt's story conveys an affirming, admirable sense of honor, compassion, and dignity. And now, I have a little more of an idea of the roots of your "strength of the individual" values. :)

Ryan